Saturday, 19 September 2009

Grandmaster Roc Raida Rest In Peace.

Awwwww fuck. Man, I'm seriously upset about this, DJ Roc Raida has died.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Official confirmation came from the family a bit earlier today:

"Anthony Williams p/k to the world as The Legendary Grandmaster Roc Raida has passed away unexpectedly today September 19 2009. He is survived by his wife, three lovely daughters, mother and friends. Raida was recently in an mixed martial arts accident, something that he has been practicing for several years. Although he had under gone two surgeries with great success, was released to an inpatient physical therapy facility and was in great spirits the past few days. This morning he started to have complications and passed. The family asks for privacy at this time."

Busta Rhymes and Phonte announced it on the net earlier.

MAN this is shitty. I used to watch his routines over and over again (anyone living with me when I was at college back in the mid 90s will support that... and I would make THEM watch the routines as well!), and I had X Men Style Beats from Return Of The DJ 2 on a tape and on repeat for months, listening over again to try and work out how he was doing it. His scratching on OC's "Time's Up" was immense. More recently, his work on the X-Ecutioners albums was amazing as always, seeing him in Scratch was a good laugh, I'd watch his tutorials on youtube and I *RINSED* the Rock Phenomenon mixtape he put out with Vlad and Mike Shinoda, that shit was amazing. I'm a bit misty eyed at the minute, got to excuse me. I can see my old DMC video I had in college from here, on the shelf in the front room.

Here's the routine I used to watch over and over. Fuck.



Courtesy of DJ Vlad, you can download the Rock Phenomenon mixtape here. HIGHLY recommended. Hit up DJ Vlad on twitter here.

Awwwww man. More than anything, it was watching and listening to him, Flash, Q-Bert, Premier, Cutmaster Swift and selected other DJs that *REALLY* made me want to step my game up when I was starting out hip hop DJing in the mid 90s. He will genuinely be sorely missed.

Rest In Peace Grandmaster Roc Raida, Rest In Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Truly sad loss.
    This was one video I watched LOADS too.
    I even fairly recently got a double of the Chief Rocka 12" with this in mind, alas even after 15 years I can't get anywhere close to the level of sheer dopeness!!

    ReplyDelete